I got a cupful of purple super hot peppers recently, and decided to make my own hot sauce. Made with some honey to tame it down, the sauce turned out perfect. A good flavor, with a spice that lingers.
- 8 ounces hot peppers chopped
- 5 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- Salt to taste
- Juice from 1 lime
- In a large bowl, add hot peppers, garlic, basil, brown sugar, honey and rum. Mix well.
- Spread the mixture over a baking sheet, reserving any remaining liquid from the bowl.
- Roast in the oven for 12 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- Cool, then add the mixture to a food processor with the reserved liquid, apple cider vinegar and salt to taste. Process until smooth.
- With a fine mesh strainer, pour the liquid into a bowl. Get all the liquid out until you are left with a paste. Toss the paste.
- Swirl in lime juice and pour the sauce into a glass container or bottle. Cover and let it sit for at least 24 hours or longer for the flavors to blend.
Filled one tabasco bottle plus a little extra.
Heat Level: Hot.
I got the recipe idea from here, but changed it up more to my style and liking.
Let me know if you are brave enough to try it!